Looking For Direction

If there’s one thing I’ve figured out in my nearly 30 years on this planet, it’s that life can’t be figured out. Every day, we are all faced with decisions that can have serious repercussions on our future. Decisions that not only impact ourselves, but the people around us that we care about the most. Is there a way that we can know what to do? Is there a way to avoid making serious mistakes in our decision making? I think there is a way. While I know I will never be able to make sense of life, I know that God has it figured out.


I spend a great deal of my time working with teenagers, and adolescence is a time of great uncertainty. There are so many life-altering decisions that can be made in the course of those years.


Who should I date?
Who should I hang out with?
Where should I go to college?
When can I be independent?


These are just a few questions that teens face. So I felt led to talk with them about how they can know what to do. Scripture is filled with evidence to the fact that God is our guide. The Bible has numerous examples of God leading His people in the way that they should go. When the uncertainty appeared, God showed up at the perfect time to light the way.


The Pillar of Cloud and Fire


When the people of Israel were in the desert for 40 years, God's presence and guidance was with them. He was seen as the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night. Whenever it was time for them to break camp, the pillar lifted and guided them to the next location. When it set down, they setup camp and didn't leave until the pillar moved again.


God put that in His word to give us an example of what His nature is like. He is our guide. He shows us the way we should go.


Scripture Verses


There are numerous verses that prove this point, but I want to highlight a couple:


Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT


Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.



God will show us which path to take with our lives if we trust Him, and we don't rely on what we think is right or makes the most sense. God’s plans are not always exactly what we think should happen. Complete trust in Him means waiting on Him and believing that He knows what He is doing.


When I talk to students about their lives and choices, I always use the illustration of a path. Life is a roadway that we travel down, and if we let God, He will guide us the right path. This is something He wants to do!


Psalm 32:8 NLT


The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.
I will advise you and watch over you.”



However, there is a catch to all of this. In order to receive God’s guidance, we have to actually pursue it. Proverbs 2 is all about us seeking wisdom from God. He says that if we pursue it with utmost priority, we will find it. Guaranteed. God won’t leave us guessing.



I don’t know about you, but I find it comforting to know that God wants to guide my life. He knows the future. All of the fear and uncertainty that can drive me crazy doesn’t affect Him. He already sees it. He’s got a plan for all of us that exceeds any of our expectations. All we have to do is trust Him to guide us, and seek His direction as a priority in our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoping in Hard Times